Friday, September 14, 2007

CAMP: The Bourne Special

Moncton, NB -- Justin Bourne would have been the MVP of almost any other scrimmage, but his goaltending Wade Dubielewicz shutout the opposition for 45 minutes. A goal and an assist is impressive, especially for a training camp invite, as Justin fights for a roster spot.

But what’s more special about it is that he did it in front of his dad, NYI Hall of famer Bob, who is with the Islanders as part of the alumni entourage here in Moncton. When Justin scored, dad Bob jumped out of his seat and quietly yelled: “That’s my son!”

“My parents came up to Alaska to watch me play, but of course this is more special,” Justin told me at the hotel lobby. “A lot of my parents’ lives were on Long Island with my dad wearing this logo. And now I’m wearing it, so it must be really special for him to see me play here.”

Hopefully Justin keeps performing, making Bob jump out of his seat more.

Seeing his former Islander father watching his son score with the Orange and Blue is also something very special.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here. They will be reviewed before appearing on the blog.